Early life nutrition
At FrieslandCampina Ingredients, we’re dedicated to make more sustainable ingredients for early life nutrition an everyday reality, together with our customers. That can only be achieved through a more sustainable dairy industry as a whole.
Bringing forward a carbon-neutral future
We help our customers reduce their carbon footprint, implement more sustainable sourcing practices, achieve their own sustainability targets and tell their sustainability story with the right branding. FrieslandCampina’s ‘Nourishing a better planet’ programme is supported by our ‘FoQus Planet’ framework. FoQus Planet policies are followed by all member farmers, and they focus our efforts on several key pillars:
Climate and energy
- The CO2 footprint of FrieslandCampina milk is just half of the global average. Our member farmers achieve this by optimising use of resources, reducing emissions from manure storage and generating energy from greener sources, such as solar, wind and manure.
- By 2030, we’ll achieve a 33% reduction of CO2 emissions on our farms (2015-2030) and a 40% reduction from our production facilities and tankers.
- In 2020 we switched to 100% green electricity and are taking measures to cut water consumption by 20% at our production facilities between 2020 and 2025.
Biodiversity and the environment
- By 2050, we want all our farms to have a positive effect on biodiversity. That’s a big ambition for an agricultural business! Biodiversity leads to a healthier ecosystem and improves soil quality, which enhances its ability to absorb carbon.
- Our unique and advanced Biodiversity Monitor has been developed in collaboration with the Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF) and Rabobank. This invaluable tool eliminates guesswork and allows farmers to check their scores on criteria such as nitrogen soil surplus and share of permanent grasslands, while gaining insights on how to improve.
- We have developed a series of partnerships, programmes and interventions to inspire and encourage sustainable, regenerative farming. Farmers support biodiversity daily by working to improve soil quality, actively maintaining habitats, using feeds with zero impact on deforestation and closing nutrient cycles.
Animal health and welfare
- We monitor over 100 aspects of each cow’s health and well-being.
- We also hold annual risk assessments of 40 critical control points, giving insights into potential health risks. It’s not just about basic health and welfare: we want our cows to be happy and comfortable—right down to the beds they sleep on at night.
- As a member of the Sustainable Dairy Partnership, we own a large portion of the ‘grass to glass’ value chain. The vast majority of raw materials we use come directly from farmers within our own chain.
- 100% of our agricultural raw materials are sourced sustainably, and we’re currently at 91% of our 92% target to ensure those sources are traceable by 2025. This also secures better livelihoods for farmers and quality of life for animals.
- We purchase only RSPO-certified palm oil and—together with Olenex and Wilmar—provide sustainable production guidance for small-scale palm oil farmers and growers in Colombia. Our soybean suppliers comply with Round Table for Responsible Soy (RTRS) standards.
What are parents saying about sustainability and infant formula?
New and exclusive research by FrieslandCampina Ingredients and Qualtrix reveals the sustainable priorities of parents around the globe.
21% of parents on average are most aware of global warming, making this their biggest concern. 20% are also worried about air pollution.
81% of parents mention that environmental impact plays a role in their choice of infant milk formula.
79% of parents would consider switching to another infant milk formula if the brand provided an environmental claim.
Get in touch
Want to know more about sustainability?
FrieslandCampina Ingredients is proud to play a global leadership role in the dairy industry, backed by over 75 years of experience in ingredients manufacturing and research in early life nutrition. Discover how we’re bringing early life nutrition and sustainability together, for a carbon-neutral future.
"*" indicates required fields
"*" indicates required fields
Please wait, the form is being loaded...